Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer reading assignment: A Streetcar Named Desire Journal #3-- Briana

I must admit as a streetcar named Desire came to an end, I was quite shocked to say the least. First off, the Rape scene between Stanley and Blanche had me at an awe, I always knew their was tension between the two and maybe at the same time attraction but to rape; disrespect, abuse, violate her to that extent floored me.
Secondly, I never would have guessed that Stella would take Stanley’s side; it was a very bold move. As for Mitch and Blanche, I was devastated for Mitch. Once Stanley possessed the answers about Blanche and told Mitch the truth, I knew that any potential relationship Mitch and Blanche once had could never last.

Lastly, I may be one of the only people who feels this way, never theless, although everyone makes mistakes, I feel as if the ones Blanche made completely ruined her life. She did lead her husband to suicide many years ago, feelings of anger, disappointment, embarrassment even egotistical, caused her to make vulgar remarks that set him of the edge, And living with that pain alone knowing it was her fault defiantly had some harsh effects on her, but
Stanley raping her was "the straw that broke the camels back". She obviously could not take it anymore and essentially went delusional.

I personally thought this play was amazing! It was a mix of comedy, drama, romance. A classic most defiantly
I only wish the ending was a little more elaborate, in my opinion it all hit me way to fast to digest what was coming at me, besides that. It was great! Highly Recommended!

2 comments:

  1. Briana
    I was also shocked to see that Stanley actually raped Blanche. I couldn't believe it the first time I read the book and then reading it a second time, I already knew what was coming so I wasn’t as shocked. I also couldn’t believe that Stella took the side of her husband but hey she now has a son and I think decided to stay with her family rather than side with her sister which might not last.
    I was not really devastated for Mitch but rather disappointed at him. We believed that he was quite a gentleman and a scholar but his actions when Blanche was taken away were unspeakable. I thought he would be Blanche’s shiny knight and armor but he just stood still as they took her away. It is unbelievable that he wasn’t willing to risk his friendship to Stanley so that this woman who made him fall in love with her remains with him. As a man, he should have understood that we all make mistakes and the mistakes that we make have a lasting effect but that we should never be judged by those mistakes. Humans learn from their mistakes and Mitch could have been the one thing that Blanche needed to recover from a mental trauma she was in ever since her husband passed away. Now we never find out what happens to her because of one evil and ruthless animal named Stanley.
    -Bin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Stella made a bold life changing choice when she sided with Stanley instead of her own sister.Makes me wonder how little love you have to have to disown your own sibling....

    ReplyDelete