Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #1 A Streetcar Name Desire-Claryliz

Upon reading Act One of A Streetcar Named Desire, I became very observant of the character of Blanche. She seems to be manipulative and seems to be hiding something from her sister, Stella. Constantly nervous and wanting to have a drink after denying that she wants more, I suspect that she is a heavy drinker. She is definitely afraid, and in my opinion is trying to take advantage of her sister. Accustomed to a different lifestyle, she conspicuously disparages her sisters’ home, which I agree is extremely rude. Eunice’s response to seeing her arriving at the home, and contemplating her form of behavior when asking whether she was at the right place, gave me an immediate conclusion that this had to be her last resource. A person of such nice physical appearance and at the same time, disgust for her new poor surroundings is unlikely to come just for a visit with all of her belongings.
Apart from giving an image of manipulation, she does not seem to be right on her mind. She, herself, accepted that she was not very far from lunacy. This is evident when she continues to talk rapidly about preposterous things and at the same time continues to question her sister about her silence. And here is where I began to worry for Stella. Mentioned that Stella is younger of the two I expected a different relationship with her sister. However, when Blanche asked her about her silence, she confirmed that it had always been like that, where Stella was always the one listening. Therefore, I wonder if Stella will leave herself to be so vulnerable to the manipulations of her sister, who seemed to obtain what she wanted after hysterically crying the “difficulties” that she had been through. Her sister immediately seemed to feel the onus and the guiltiness of leaving her sister behind. Stella’s tears worry me, because I fear if she will be gullible enough to believe her sister’s words.
Referring back to Blanche’s supposed nervous state of mind, and lunacy, I wonder if this is a personal connection to the author’s real life. As mentioned at the beginning he had two siblings with mental issues. So I wonder if Blanche is a case of a mental issue like she says she was about to, or whether she wants something else from her sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment