Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer reading assignment: Journal #3 Crime and Punishment-- Josh

Well, the ending of Crime & Punishment was exactly what the rest of the book was, boring. Raskolnikov got arrested after confessing to a double homicide (who would have guessed that?) and he fell in love with Marmeladov’s prostitute daughter Sonya. Big whoop. I am so disappointed with this book I cannot even begin to explain it. As Rema said, I really hope Ms. Tramantano doesn’t hate me for that comment, but I really have never been so bored reading a book as famous as Crime & Punishment. Yet, now that I am finished with the book I am relieved to say I understand Raskolnikov’s character slightly more than I did previously (500 pages ago). While he still is one of the murkiest and in my opinion, least developed characters I have ever come across in my numerous years of reading, I will admit I felt a little bit of compassion for him towards the end of the book. Rema once again put it very well in her third and final post about this book, as to how we can now compare the minds and emotions of Raskolnikov and Blanche DeBois from A Streetcar Named Desire. I agree with Rema when she claims that Raskolnikov was truly insane, and quite frankly an idiot whose conscious got the better of him. How can a man who leaves money for a woman so desperately in need eventually live with himself after killing two women for virtually no purpose whatsoever.

Now that I have finished this book, I am very, very happy to say I would not recommend it just about anybody. While I’m sure as this coming school year goes on and we dive more into these two works my opinions will change, but as for now I am very disappointed with Crime & Punishment, and on the other hand, I am very impressed by A Streetcar Named Desire. I would be interested in what other people feel about this book (although as I have read many people feel the same way I do). If anyone could also divulge a little into their feelings about Raskolnikov and maybe how they compared this book to Streetcar as well, I’d be very interested too.

No comments:

Post a Comment