Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #1 A Streetcar Named Desire--Biniyam

A Street Car Named Desire
Tennessee Williams
Similarly to some of my class mates, I have read this book before and I knew the situation, the protagonist, antagonist etc. Thus I was actually looking forward to reading it a second time because now I was able to pick up things I missed the first time. In the beginning scenes, Blanche arrives to her sister’s house in New Orleans . This arrival I am sure is going to lead to several confrontations. One thing that amazed me was that as soon as she saw the place that Stella lives, Blanche dislikes the way that her sister lives. She quickly judges her sister’s lifestyle. This is something that I despise and dislike in a person. As soon as we meet a person or encounter a new lifestyle, we are very quick to judge. Being Judgmental is something I can’t stand. There are always hidden things and until then we should never judge. Even then, people should never judge each other. The bible actually states that a person shouldn’t judge or they shall be judged. The only one with the right and ability to judge is god when we attempt to enter his kingdom.
In the early chapters we run across a very interesting character named Stanley . We first encounter him when he is returning home from a bowling game. I noticed that Stanley is the Alpha Male of the whole crew. He appears to be the leader and the person responsible for everything that the guys do together. I am very much impressed and interested in Staley. However, every Alpha Male has a weakness and his weakness is a woman named Stella. She tells him to “try and understand her and be nice to her (Blanche.) I am very curious as to know the relationship of Stanly and Stella before the arrival of Blanche.
We find out that Stanley is curious of the reasons behind the arrival of Blanche unannounced. He suspects some secret and lie. When he goes through her trunk, he finds a bunch of letters. Blanche tells him that the letters are from her admirer. I assume that these letters give a false impression to Blanche. Blanche is somehow blinded by the words of the letters that she is delusional as seen in her actions and behaviors. I think this cover is somehow removed when she meets a fellow by the name of Mitch. Mitch seems to be a very interesting person. He is part of the Stanley Crew and yet he remains unique in his own way. I admire people who can blend in with others when necessary but can also standout when necessary as he did when Blanche arrived. I can sense that there is going to be some sort of relationship between the two of them.
I found out that Stanley is not a man. A true man is able to control his emotions and is also able to take care of everything else. A man never lands his hands on a woman. A man should always be caring and affectionate towards a woman, if not then he is no man at all. Stanley , in my opinion is a coward and a ruthless person as he strikes his wife. I question as to how a man can land his hands on a woman whom he is married to with the intent of hurting her. I despise men like Stanley and actually feel bad for him because he will never understand how to respect a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment