Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #1 A Streetcar Name Desire-Eriana

1.
Having already read "A StreetCar Named Desire" previously, I found it refreshing to read the play by Tennessee Williams at my own pace. In addition I began to discover details that allowed me to view the play in a way I wasn't able to before. Towards the beginning of the play I noticed almost immediately the New Orleans accent that wasn't present in the dialog. The arrival of Stella's older sister Blanche rose my suspicion as to what type of character she would present herself to be. At this moment I can only assume that Blanche has no idea on the type of lifestyle her sister Stella may have picked up. My prediction is that Blanche will not receive a warm welcome and that her presence might just cause a rift between Stella and her husband Stanley.
Towards the end of scene two the announcement of Stella being pregnant seems to throw Blanche off into a different mood. Its at these moments where I stop and think that maybe Tennessee Williams is trying to secretly drop hints that Blanche may be mentally unbalanced. In addition it is pretty apparent that Stanley does not trust Blanche at all. The mood of the play seems to be jumping from dark and mysterious to dramatic and cheerful. The surroundings of the character is described in a weird way. If it weren't for the movie I would have a hard time imagining the apartment that they all shared. At this point of the play I can say that I am very interested to see all of the important plot points I may have missed the first time around. Especially the very stressful relationship between Stanley, Stella and Blanche.

No comments:

Post a Comment