Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #3 Crime and Punishment-- Samuel

Raskolnikov is a very interesting character. From the very beginning of the book he was alone and avoided people. At first I had thought he killed for the money, but from my understanding of the book and a little research, it was to prove he was more than just a commoner. I found it a bit weird, but after mulling it over for a while I think I understand. By murdering and maintaining control over himself and his emotions, he would prove that he wasn’t ordinary. But eventually he confessed, which I did not expect, until Sonya had helped coax him into it.
The story overall was really depressing. Raskolnikov had dreamt a memory of a mare being beaten to death. Then he kills the pawnbroker and her sister. Sonya’s father and stepmother die. Basically people are dying all around. But I think it ended on a somewhat happier note or at least a peaceful one. Raskolnikov is in jail; serving a labor sentence in Serbia and will soon be with his love, Sonya.
Raskolnikov thought unusually high of himself which led to his situation. He had thought that he was so far above others that he could kill without remorse, which is a really extreme concept. And yet the guilt ravaged him, changing him which had kept me intrigued throughout the entire book. Unfortunately, the ending was good but I wish it was more exciting….or at least left something to the imagination

1 comment:

  1. Raskolnikov did believe he was more superior by thinking he can kill without his conscience getting the best of him. I believe this was the real underlying issue throughout the story. I thought it was about when Raskolnikov was going to get caught for his terribly deed, but in reality it was more about how the terrible deed was going to get caught in his head. Well, the book went on and soon enough Raskolnikov's mind got the best of him and not he must suffer in jail.

    ReplyDelete