Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: Crime and Punishment Journal #1--Eriana

Well into the beginning of Crime and Punishment, I was already able to make a prediction towards the story line of the protagonist Raskolnikov. His description makes him come off as a strange person. Right off the bat Raskolnikov begins to talk to himself, his walk makes him come off as a jittery or anxious person. Raskolnikov says he babble's too much, I wonder if this could be a clue towards his illness. While reading from page to page I noticed the type of surroundings he was living in, it was then that it occurred to me that if he himself explains it as "smelly" then his neighborhood is not well kept. Overall the physical description of Raskolnikov seems rather ironic because for someone with such nice features to be covered in filthy clothes is unfortunate.
As for the author, Dostoevsky is keeping me hanging with all of the secrets and confusion that comes with Raskolnikov. The theme I see developing is suspense. Having the reader be kept in the dark allows the actual reading to be much more exciting. I'm anticipating to see what is going to happen next. Moving on to Raskolnikov's personality, he doesn't seem 100% together mentally. For example he doesn't want to be seen, makes me question if he is in debt to more than just his land lady. He appears very stressed by something and I have a feeling its something very bad. In addition I've been observing Raskolnikov's behavior when he is off walking and I decided that he is the type of person that half the time is slow and indecisive and the other half he seems hyper and wired. This looks like the perfect recipe for a person who could commit a crime. Hopefully towards the middle much more secrets will be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment