Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Reading Assignment Journal #3: A Streetcar Named Desire-- Angela

As I neared the end of Streetcar I was actually sad, because I enjoyed this book so much more than Crime and Punishment. But as I kept thinking about whether or not Stanley would be just as crazy as Blanche he completely showed me once again that I shouldn’t of doubted him. I found it invigorating the way Stella acted towards Blanche upon hearing about the lies she had been telling. It’s like Stella finally saw the light and pieced things together, I was almost proud of her because I felt so bad for her on how deep her head was buried in Blanches lies and stories.

I also love how in the beginning of scene five page 74, Blanche even called herself a liar!( which reminds me of how both Blanche and Raskolnikov admit their strange and deranged,yet no one seems to do much about it) I think that scene five is when everything started coming out, all the lies, interesting stories and true feelings for each other started to come out. It amazed me how fast everything happened and then ended. After Stanley ratted out Blanche to Stella, I felt like everything happened in the blink of an eye, and soon Blanche was off and leaving the house.




I was was very curious to see how Mitch and Blanche would turn out. I actually had hope for her, I thought well maybe Mitch would bring her some good and she’d want to change. But the way it ended made it seem as if Mitch had no heart, which was the complete opposite of how I thought his character would be. As fast as the relationship ended, so did Blanche's stay at the Kowalski's residence. I was actually sad to see Blanche leave, who knows if she could have changed on her own or not, but I guess sending her with the doctor was the best way to go. I felt that ‘ A Streetcar Named Desire’ had more of an intriguing plot, and way of showing the characters manic behavior. In ‘ Crime and Punishment’ the author seemed to use more scenery and inner thoughts than dialogue and characters relations.

But in the end, I enjoyed both books and liked to see how each deranged character unfolded as their stories continued.

3 comments:

  1. Angela, it’s pretty easy to tell you and have some similar taste when it comes to literature. As I had mentioned in my three previous blogs I really, really enjoyed this play and I too was disappointed when I read the final pages. However, while you call Stanley crazy, I call him marvelous. His literary character as a whole was an unbelievable product of Tennessee William’s genius. The way he interacted with not only Stella and Blanche but his friends and other characters as well gave him so many different dimensions and developed him so much as a character. When you mention Stella finally “seeing the light”, I felt the exact same way when she finally called Blanche out on her lies and did something about it. As much as it hurt her to do so, I think you and I can both agree there really was no other option. Now in the second paragraph of your blog, you discuss how quickly the sequence of events leading up to the end of the play happened. While I can see what you may mean, I feel that the whole play flowed very smoothly and nothing seemed out of place or appeared to have happened too suddenly. I can honestly say there was no one time in my reading where I stopped, put the book down, and said, “what the hell just happened”, (except the one scene where Stanley supposedly rapes Blanche, that was pretty unexpected).
    Of all the characters in this play, I truly feel for Mitch. I feel so bad for a man that only wanted to do well, and make his dying mother happy by wedding before she passed. There were many times where I wanted to just poke my head into the book and flick Mitch in the head every time he said something to try and swoon Blanche. While I have yet to complete Crime and Punishment, I can see many of the similarities you do, and I look forward to unfolding more of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, it's funny how as i neared the end of a streetcar named desire i was saddened too, the book is definatly a Classic in my eyes, i can say i enjoyed it much more than C&P as well. In my final blog i state how i thought it was a "bold" move for Stella to take Stanley's side. It was so unlike her! in essence it was as if she broke her shell or in your words "Finally saw the light".
    Similarly to you i felt as if the book was practically over after Stanley "ratted" out Blanche to Stella. I think i may have actually even reopened the book to make sure i didn't pass anything.
    I too was curious to see how Mitch and Blanche would work out, i deeply wanted them too, i felt they would have been good for eachother i had so much remorse for Mitch but, I'm pretty sure many did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also felt glad when Stella was able to open her eyes and see the reality about her sister. In the other hand, I felt like she was kind of doing the same thing with her husband. Her love for her sister (initially) did not permit her to see the reality, and I think she is also doing that with her husband. Stanley has raped her own sister, and also does not treat her as she should be.

    ReplyDelete