Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #1 Crime and Punishment-- Briana

As I started reading Crime and punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, I felt somewhat bewildered as I read the first 30 pages or so, the tone and mood were both very unsettling, rather dark. This left me to prolong the process of reading it and really understand what I was reading. When I was introduced to the character by the name of Raskolnikov, I immediately had an eerie feeling run through my body; He seemed to be a very depressed, dubious character. When in the mind of Raskolnikov an intelligent but very neurotic fellow, I felt as if the writings of Dostoevsky had taken me on a rollercoaster, always up and down when it came to the conflicting topic of the “crime” Raskolnikov sought to commit. Yet I was still very unsure of his motives for a while. Feelings of concern heightened, as his loathing for the pawn broker Alyona Ivanovna was revealed! Everything became much clearer to me. Once he had become drunk, I knew what was to come.

He killed Alyona the pawn broker although I’m still a bit baffled as t o why? just because he did not like her? he axed this woman to death! and Lizaveta her innocent sister who if she hadn’t walked in would have survived, but instead was murdered too that night! with no remorse whatsoever! I couldn’t understand how a human being could do that to another, I know personally when i am fighting with someone or hurt them emotionally I feel regretful, I can not even imagine killing someone, Robbing someone of their life. With the Same token you’re taking yours away too. On a lighter note, I would have to say Raskolnikov’s madness or the more “ill” he becomes from the guilt of those two murders is quite entertaining though.

No comments:

Post a Comment