Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #2 Crime and Punishment-- Rema

To me- murder will always be murder. There is no justification for it; you are taking a life away from another human being- believing yours is more valuable than theirs. This is a controversial topic, so I don’t really want to step into it (this gets into what Fred mentioned earlier in his blog- when it comes down to having the opportunity to kill someone like Osama Bin Laden, or someone harming a friend, or neighbor, would you do it?). Plus, my head still isn’t set on a definite answer when it comes to this topic.
However, I think it’s quite idiotic that Raskolnikov has to convince himself that killing Alyona Ivanova would be a “good deed.” It’s as if he’s trying to sway his conscious into believing he’s doing something that will help others (he believes that if he steals her money, it’ll help others). He’s convincing himself that “thousands of good deeds outweigh one crime.” It’s like a child trying to convince himself/herself that if they steal a couple of dollars (out of a bunch) from their parents to buy something for his/her friends- it’ll be okay because other people will benefit positively from the “bad deed.” Coming up with excuses for committing crimes can become a habit, causing someone to become out of control.

Raskolnikov is also very sloppy in planning the murder. My theory is that he didn’t bother planning thoroughly because, he was afraid of talking himself out of the deed. The more he dwelled on the fact that he was about to commit a huge crime, the closer he’d be to convincing himself that he shouldn’t do it. He was so sloppy that he ended up killing Lizaveta as well, and trying to clean the ax (the weapon—okay, seriously, couldn’t he find something less brutal? That scene was awful) with his clothes. What.An.Idiot.
To top it off, he fell asleep easily when he got home.

If there were any possible way that I could speak to Raskolnikov, I would have two questions for him:
(1) How do you sleep so well after murdering two people?
(2) How’s the world going to benefit from Lizaveta’s murder? Ah, stumped you there, Raskolnikov.

I still don’t like this book. It seems pointless to me. I’m failing to understand the overall message of this book. Is there something I’m supposed to gather, and learn from Raskolnikov’s actions? I mean…I know murder is wrong, as well as stealing. What is Dostoyesky trying to tell the world through Raskolnikov?

No comments:

Post a Comment