Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer reading assignment: Journal #2 Crime and Punishment--Briana

Crime & Punishment journal #2


As I ventured deeper into the story I realized how much I didn’t care for this book, the murder scene was definatly the peak of my interest. I felt the dialogue to be boring and the tone very melancholy, considering much of this portion of the story was about Raskolnikov making the decision to confess. Soon after he decides he is, he’s faced with the death of Marmeladov a man he had met at the tavern early in the story. Shortly after his death Raskolnikov is able to grasp the fact that he is in love with his daughter Sonya Marmeladov. Dostoevsky illustrates Sonya as a warm-hearted, loving, strong woman. She is kind, understanding and loves her family so much that she goes to the extent of prostituting herself. It seems as if nothing can break her.
Although Raskolnikov knows little about Sonya, it gives him the possibility of hope and he begins to trust her enough to open up and admit to the crime he committed. I have to say, I was a tad bit surprised that she had taken it as well as she did. Sonya was surprisingly very compassionate to the matter, HER only request was he turn himself into the police, which he already had in mind. But I still had to think to myself, was Raskolnikov capable of turning himself in? I mean from the title of the book alone one assumes the main character will be punished. But I wasn’t a 100% sure he was going to go through with it, I Still had a lingering feeling that he may do one of two things, A. take the easy was out AND flee, or committee suicide or B. have an individual who knows him turn him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment