Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: A Streetcar Named Desire Journal #1--Alyson

I was actually excited to have A Streetcar Named Desire assigned to us as a summer reading assignment, not only because I had already read it and seen the movie, but because I thoroughly enjoyed it. The entire plot is so captivating, the characters are so real, and everything is so easily imagined and visualized, making the reading experience completely different than that of C&P.

Since this is my second time reading the play, I tried forgetting everything I already knew about the characters, and tried getting new first impressions of them from the first scene. I never liked Blanche, as I found her very pretentious, fake, and materialistic, even from the first time she enters the play. When she sees Stella and Stanley’s home, it doesn’t match up to her high standards, and is thereby repulsed. She is a very judgmental character and, to agree with Biniyam, that is something I absolutely cannot stand in anyone.

Even before Blanche’s entrance, you get somewhat of a feel of Stanley and Stella’s relationship. Their playful and lighthearted interactions made me feel that they are really in love, but he is a bit too rough with her. From the first few scenes (and throughout most of the play), it is extremely difficult to pick up on Blanche’s character, like Raskolnikov, and I was entirely unaware of her intentions

No comments:

Post a Comment