Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer Reading Assignment : A Streetcar Named Desire Journal # 3--Kristina

When I finished the play, I began to feel bad for Blanche. Even though Blanche lied about why she came to live with Stella, I began to relate to her. I would feel ashamed and embarrassed if I was in Blanches' shoes. Who would want to tell people I found my husband with another man or I was fired from my job because I had an affair with a student. At the end of the play I did not like Stanley at all. Stanley, who once dislkied Blanche, ends up rapping her. Stanley was never a "good man" like Stella made him out to be. I didnt realize that until the end of the play.

I also figured out how desire plays a major theme in the play. Blanche had a desire to be wanted. After finding her husband with another man, Blanche most likley felt that there was something wrong with her so she flirted with men to feel wanted and to boost her confidence. Blanche had an affair with a student because that student made her feel wanted at that moment. Blanche did not care if it was wrong or right but it made her feel good. Stellas desire was to be wanted by her husband and for her life to be perfect. Stella did not want to admit that her husband was a drunk or an aggressive man. Stella did not want to admit that her sister lied to her or that there was something seriously wrong with Blanche. Stella also refused to believe Blanche when she told Stella that Stanley rapped her.

I really liked the play because Williams shows the reader that nothing is perfect and no one lives a perfect life. I also loved the way he shows that everyone has desires of some sort. Even though some events that occured in the play were not everyday events such as Blanche finding her husband with another man, he also includes events that are not as rare such as a drunk husband. Williams shows the hardships of life and how people deal with them. People have choices in life and they can choose to better themselves or to continue living their life the way they are. The play shows that life is not just black and white but there are grays in between. It shows how feelings play an important role on peoples lives. Even if the reader was never in such situations I think that Williams still was able to connect the reader to his play.


On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Kristina Vrettos wrote:

Summer Reading Assignment : A Streetcar Named Desire Journal # 2

After reading the middle of the book, Williams starts to reveal Blanches' secrets. As Blanches secrets are being revealed, Blanche is having a little fling with Stanley's friend Mitch. I did get a little confused when Blanche told Stella that she wanted Mitch but then Blanche started flirting with the young man. I think Blanche has something wrong with her. I feel as if she is never satisfied or she is trying to fill a hole inside of her. On page 95 of scene six, Blanche opens up to Mitch about her young husband who died. At this part I felt as if Blanche became vulnerable to Mitch because she endured a life changing event. Even though Blanche is not my favorite person, I felt a little sympathy for her because of the fact she went through a hard situation.
Stanley learns that Blanche was stayed at a hotel in Laurel and was putting on an "act" at the hotel. Blanche was forced to leave the hotel and practically forced to leave Laurel. Another lie that Stanley came upon was of Blanche "resigning" from the teaching job. Blanche did not resign but was let go from her job because of an affair she had with a student. I did not feel that Stanley was trying to be rude or mean towards Blanche but i felt Stella was being naive about the situation. Stella did not want to admit or even believe any of Stanley's stories. I understand why Stella would react the way she did because Blanche is her sister and Stella loves her. This is where i realized that loves is a major theme in this play. The love that Stella has for Blanche and Stanley. The love that Blanche once had for her young husband and the love that Blanche is trying to seek from every other man she is with.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, that although I do agree with a lot of your main points regarding the play and the outcome, I still have some disagreements. For instance, when you're explaining how you felt bad for Blanche at the end of the story. I don't know if it's maybe because i really dislike Blanche that I feel this certain way, but I honestly felt no pity or sympathy for her- maybe only in the scene when Stanley raped her because that was undoubtedly uncalled for and out of bounds. Nevertheless, I really do feel that Blanche brought everything else upon herslef. Clearly the woman was sick. I can imagine that finding your "true love" with another man must truly be traumatizing and whatnot, however I feel that Blanche really did take it justa little too far. Staying at the Flamingo having who knows how many affairs with how many men, and also having an affair with her young student? You feel sympathy for that? If you ask me she brought it all upon herself. Our actions do have consequences,and although we would like to think that they don't, we must be cautious of what we do. Mitch would have honestly been the perfect man for Blanche- but sadly for her, she didn't deserve him- not even a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're pretty much on point with how i saw it with the Desire theme. KV i like how you showed Desire can be a response to hardship, and a fog of delusion for reality. Like, it sort of got me thinking, when people turn to alchoholism and pot(not talking about partying I mean like out of depression haha) it's the exact same mindset. Remeber in psychology how we had ilya explain to us in his funny presentation what causes people to turn to these negative impacts, substances, etc. Well i think we can aggree its Desire. just as you said, Blanche's desire to find the perfect man after her dreadful hardships with his ex-husband coming out of the closet. And just how Stella wants to confirm that she has the perfect lifestyle even though in reality, she's abused to the point of disgust. Nice catch.

    ReplyDelete