Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: Crime and Punishment Journal #3-- Eriana

As I closed the book on Crime and Punishment, I looked down at it and was filled with joy of the thought of never having to read another page. I have to agree with many of my classmates, not only was the ending disappointing but I felt that it was rushed or maybe written hastily to get it over with. I was surprised to see that Dunya decides to be with Razumikhin rather than her fiance. I am also unimpressed by Raskolinkov's decision to confess,which resulted in him getting sent to a prison in Siberia. I honesty think that's where he belongs far away from people because he himself can not function as a proper person. I can also say that the whole falling in love with a prostitute isn't a bright idea and only made me pity Raskolinkov more. In addition I felt that overall Dostoesky put the crime in our own hands, and left the punishment for us. Like a trail in a court we were introduced to a character who seemed odd, he observed him and his actions trying to figure him out. The murders was the climax that put the reader in the position to decide whether or not his outcome is deserving.
I enjoyed bits and parts of this novel and I can easily understand why it is considered a classic. I however cant say this is the novel you should cozy up to on a rainy day,I feel that besides the major points this novel lacked something. I'm not sure what that something is but something is missing that can take it to a whole new level. I would love to re-read this book and in depth to fully get inside the characters and grasp the message that Dostoevsky was trying to send. All in all I enjoyed reading both pieces of literature (Crime and Punishment and A StreetCar Named Desire) and I see how both can be compared. I would recommend this novel but to only boring people.

1 comment:

  1. Eriana,
    I think you might have skipped the part about Dunya, Pulcheria, Rasklinkov and Razumkin kicking out Luzhin from the meeting they were having. She actually made the right decision by staying with Razumkin. They balance each other out in a way and they care for each other. It is the perfect romance.
    As for Rasklinkov and Sonya, Sonya did whatever it was she had to do to support her family. Rasklinkov did not fall in love for the prostitute although she was one for a short while. He fell in love with the real, compassionate, loving and confident Sonya. I think love knows no boundaries whether it is prostitution or murder. It will find a way to catch up to us.
    I guess you can call me one of those boring people you should recommend it to, because I actually liked it.

    -Bin

    ReplyDelete