Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: Crime and Punishment Journal #2-- Josh

Two-thirds completed and I have come to the conclusion that reading Crime and Punishment has become just that, punishment. The dreary, boring, mindlessness of this book has made me almost as insane as the main character. After Raskolnikov commits the double homicide, I was looking forward to maybe something of the least bit exciting or entertaining. I was wrong. I really don’t have much to comment on this book, other than my sheer dissatisfaction for it. The romance I can somewhat see developing between Sonya and Raskolnikov seems pretty pointless in my opinion, and it is once again another reason I am not enjoying this book. The characteristics of Raskolnikov, his self-loathing yet pitiful nature are very confusing and are unlike any character I have seen before. This is a book full of death and unhappiness and unlike A Streetcar Named Desire, is very difficult to comprehend and in turn enjoy. The ending truly cannot come soon enough in possibly one of the most un-interesting books I have ever read.

As much as I have thoroughly NOT enjoyed this book, there is one positive I can take out of it, and that is how I can compare it to other works of literature. After reading A Streetcar Named Desire and then beginning to read Crime & Punishment I have been trying to find a connection between the two works of literature. So far, I have not found and significant similarities, except for the potential outbursts of anger and frustration that both Raskolnikov and Stanley seem to hold within them. Other than that, I find no positive factors.

1 comment:

  1. Josh I understand how you feel about the book because i disliked it as well. I felt like there was no point in the story at all. Or nothing that we dont already know. I remember reading someone saying that they understand why this novel is a classic. I am not surprised it is a classic but like you said, its a classic I would never reccomend to anyone.

    However I disagree with you on the comparisons of Crime and Punishment and A Streetcar Named Desire. I feel like Blanche and Raskolnikov are similar in many ways. They both feel as if they are superior to everyone around them, they both suffer from drinking problems, they both show love for their family members, and from the very beginging of each piece of literature, you know there is something mentally wrong with them.

    ReplyDelete