Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #2 A Streetcar Named Desire-Justine

Throughout the middle of the play, I am noticing a trend of the recurring involvement of situations involving sex, alcohol, and money. I believe these three things are very

symbolic and major themes. Alcohol is symbolic to one of Stanley's issues which is drinking too much and going after his wife Stella. Sex is important to the story line because sex is symbolic to Blanche's past and who she has became or pretends not to be. Lastly, money is very symbolic because Stanley thought Blanche would have money. Money, sex, and alcohol are all important factors.


As I read, "A Street Car Named Desire", the mood I feel is worried. For example, when we find out Stella is pregnant, I was feeling worried for the baby's future. With all the drama and lies taking place I could only predict the baby could wind up dying inside of Stella. I also worry about Stella because of the rough situation both her sister and husband put her through. Stella can choose to spend her life with her husband, Stanley, who wants to get rid of her and beats her when he's drunk. On the other hand, Stella can choose to spend time with her sister who she hasn't seen in a very long time who seems to have mental issues. Stella is playing "the middle man" throughout all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment