Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #1 A Streetcar Named Desire--Samuel

A Streetcar Named Desire is definitely a one-time read for me. I liked the play, but it was much better the first time due to the element of surprise. As I began to re-read the play, memories of my former opinions came back to me. Blanche was my least favorite character, Stanley was my favorite, and everyone else was just a “someone”. But keep in mind that I was not that far into the play, so I didn’t even suspect that Stanley would hit his wife or rape Blanche. Also, I had no idea that Blanche was so… irritating.
I had originally thought Stanley was a pretty cool character. He is from Poland and at least somewhat educated and clever, considering he knows about the Napoleonic code, knows how to get under Blanche’s skin. He has a job, a soon-to-be family and his own home. But when he hit his wife, I became kind of confused. Here was my favorite character so far, and he was being a complete idiot. Maybe he should have given up beer, because he was drunk once again when he raped Blanch.
Blanch was my least favorite character. At first I really had no opinion of her. But then it was discovered that she was a self-centered, lying whore, literally. That being said, she is the character that made this play what it is. The only reason why it was interesting was because of Blanche and her failing sanity and the tension between her and Stanley. Her personality and attitude had kept me intrigued till the very end, even though she annoying.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you changed your mind on Stanley being your favorite character after the abuse and rape. And I agree with you on how irritating Blanche becomes throughout the play, but I do think Williams was trying to achieve that type of response. Why else would he have created a character like Blanche.

    ReplyDelete