Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer reading assignment: Journal #2 Crime and Punishment-- Briana

I would like to begin by saying that I am relieved that I am done with this book. Now, onto analyzing. I have to admit that the ending was slightly disappointing. I was expecting Dostoevsky to do something a little less ordinary. Yet, I can still see why many would call this book a classic. It is simple, very forthright and portrays the lives of many modest people who struggle with their lives. If that isn't a typical classic, I don't know what is.
Raskolnikov was punished and sentenced to prison in Siberia. From the beginning of the story to the end, he has changed. However, this change was a result of the traumatic outlook he endured after murdering the two women. Suppose he never killed them in the first place. He would more than likely never have changed. He would still have an arrogant outlook on life, but since he did commit the murders, his punishment was what he deserved: a life of depression, derangement and even dillusion. The punishment he put on himself was his own fault. My outlook on him is that he actually could have prevented the whole situation.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how disappointing it was to have Raskolnikov confess to the murders. Even though he was a crazy cold blooded murderer I couldn't help growing some pity towards him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your statement about why this book is considered a classic. Any literary work that is able to portray the lives of the average person in such a way that can apply to any time period and anywhere in the world, makes it an instant classic. Although the story was rather bland (even in areas that should have been more exciting to read), I definitely feel that the stories of each character can be easily applied to many people's lives today.

    ReplyDelete