Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer reading assignment: Journal #1 A Streetcar Named Desire--Briana

As I began my journey into reading a streetcar named desire by Tennessee Williams for my very first time, I was quickly drawn to the relationship between two of the main characters, Blanche DuBois, and Stanley Kowalski her Sister Stella’s husband. I found myself questioning if the two of them could possibly share a “love” interest in one another?
And if so, why was Stanley’s demeanor towards Blanche so disrespectful?
But I soon discarded all thoughts of the matter as I read deeper into the play, having realized maybe it’s not a love interest at all. I then thought that Stanley possibly knows more than he's leading on. I realized this when he subtly offers Blanche a shot. When Blanche respectfully turns it down he replies "some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often." Had Stella told him about her drinking problem?
Then it began to hit me! Could it have been that Stanley was the only person who could truly see right through her? (e.g: even when Stanley begins to go through Blanches wardrobe trunk, and finds very glamorous, expensive attires, Stella her sister blinded by her Love for her sister could not bare to hear it by simply denying it to herself by defending her sister)

Although in the first few scenes Blanche acts somewhat stuck up, I have to admit I personally feel remorse for her, as we learn from very early in the book, Blanche loses almost everything that ever meant anything to her (Her husband, Belle Reve, Her job). I doubt she would have done half the things she did if she had known how she would end up. Now sadly her past is all she has to live for, if its not that then it’s the lies she creates, I am a true believer that she doesn’t want to face the present the way it is so she lies to “escape’ from it all, nevertheless digging herself deeper and deeper into being labeled as a perfect candidate for insanity.

2 comments:

  1. Briana
    If this is truly the first time, you are reading A Street Car named Desire, and then I must congratulate you because this is a famous and wonderful book written by a wonderful writer that every high school student in America should and must read (unfortunately not the case.) I am sure many people were questioning if there actually was a love interest between Stanley and Blanche. However, this was not the case. It is even impossible for me to think that Blanche, regardless of how crazy, drunk or different she may seem would go after her sister’s husband. It is unspeakable and disgraceful. I think the answer to this question is actually answered by the fact that Stanley has attitude and a different demeanor when Blanche is around. I can sense that he does not like the fact that Blanche has come to live with them without announcing her visit. This I think sparks Stanley’s interest in the reasons behind Blanche’s appearance and as we encounter later on, he digs through her wardrobe trunk to try to find the answer.
    Stanley is the man of the house. A man of the house knows where certain things are such as the remote, alcohol and food. Stanley I am sure is a fan of alcohol and that he knows his drinks. When he leaves to go bowling he probably recognized the level at which he left the drink and the fact that it was much fewer when he returns gives him a clue that Blanche was the one who drank it. This of course leads his to saying, “some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often." I do not think Stella told him about her sister’s drinking problem because she is too much of an innocent person to do so.
    It is only natural to feel remorse for a person who has lost everything. It shows you have a heart. Yes, Blanche is a sad and interesting character and I felt remorse for her. I was hoping that Stanley actually befriends her so that he can help her start a new life so she can move out the house as soon as possible. However, this is not the case as we later find out.
    -Bin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, i like the end of your post, "digging herself deeper and deeper into being labeled as a perfect candidate for insanity."

    ReplyDelete