Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer Reading Assignment : A Streetcar Named Desire Journal # 2--Kristina

After reading the middle of the book, Williams starts to reveal Blanches' secrets. As Blanche's secrets are being revealed, Blanche is having a little fling with Stanley's friend Mitch. I did get a little confused when Blanche told Stella that she wanted Mitch but then Blanche started flirting with the young man. I think Blanche has something wrong with her. I feel as if she is never satisfied or she is trying to fill a hole inside of her. On page 95 of scene six, Blanche opens up to Mitch about her young husband who died. At this part I felt as if Blanche became vulnerable to Mitch because she endured a life changing event. Even though Blanche is not my favorite person, I felt a little sympathy for her because of the fact she went through a hard situation.
Stanley learns that Blanche was stayed at a hotel in Laurel and was putting on an "act" at the hotel. Blanche was forced to leave the hotel and practically forced to leave Laurel. Another lie that Stanley came upon was of Blanche "resigning" from he teaching job. Blanche did not resign but was let go from her job because of an affair she had with a student. I did not feel that Stanley was trying to be rude or mean towards Blanche but i felt Stella was being naive about the situation. Stella did not want to admit or even believe any of Stanley's stories. I understand why Stella would react the way she did because Blanche is her sister and Stella loves her. This is where i realized that loves is a major theme in this play. The love that Stella has for Blanche and Stanley. The love that Blanche once had for her young husband and the love that Blanche is trying to seek from every other man she is with.

3 comments:

  1. Kristina, I too touched upon the theme of love in my second blog post for A Streetcar Named Desire. It's quite an obvious theme, yet I feel it is the most important one. Love is what drives the characters to act certain ways or believe certain things. For example, you mentioned Stella wouldn't believe Stanley. Stella's love for Blanche is the reason for that.

    When you say you think something is wrong with Blanche, isn't that obvious? When it comes to kissing the boy, I'm pretty sure she did it because he reminded her of her dead husband. She is never satisfied because she misses her him. After her young husband killed himself, everything went downhill for Blanche. It really took a toll on her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, love is a very important theme that is interpreted much in the middle of the play. However, as I wrote in my second journal, I think deception too is another theme that can be seen here. As I read about the love between Blanche and Mitch, I started wondering if he might even know about who she truly is.

    Even though nothing is learned about Blanche before Blanche and Mitch's evening together, you still get the idea that there is something more to her than what is already seen. I got the idea from Stanley's sudden suspicions about her. I also got the idea when she kissed the young man.

    As you already said, love is a major theme that takes place here. However, it seems like there's more than just love taking place. Like I said, I think deception is another theme taking place here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina, lying is a large theme of this book. If Blanche hadn't lied as much as she did, she wouldn't have been in the problems she was in. Her issues with Stanley are a result of her constant lying. I, like you, begin to feel a little bit of sympathy for Blanche. Beginning with her young husband, she seems to have lost everyone. This drove her to near insanity and was the beginning of her "many lovers" and lies.

    All in all, before finishing the book, I figured that all of Blanche's lies would drive Stanley to do something impulsive.

    ReplyDelete