Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #3 Crime and Punishment-- Rema

Okay. So…He was arrested. The end. Oh yeah, and he figured out that he was in love with Sonya (or Sonia…whatever). Remind me again, what is the point of this book? I think Ebenezer said it well in saying that Dostoyevsky took the easy way out by the ending the book the way he did. I felt like there were supposed to be more pages (thank GOD there wasn’t)…something more to Raskolnikov’s life. However, there was no more.
Do I feel like time was wasted on this book? I’m not sure (and I hope Ms. Tramantano doesn’t hate me after this).
On one hand, I believe we benefited in reading two different literary genres (A Streetcar Named Desire, and Crime and Punishment), where both of the protagonists had inner conflicts. We’re able to compare and contrast Blanche DeBois and Raskolnikov, and we’re given the chance to try and understand how they each got to their mental state of mind.
On the other hand, I felt like Raskolnikov was a complete idiot, who should have realized he was going to fail from the very start. We were given a hint from the very start that Raskolnikov has a conscious, and he can be compassionate. Remember when he left the money for Katerina? That was our first sign. If he was capable of that- there was no way he was going to live with murdering someone- let alone murdering two people. Simple idiocy at its best is what I’m going to call it.

What I did enjoy, however, was how the actual crime occurred in the very beginning. Why I liked this so much was because we were given plenty of time to debate what forms of punishment Raskolnikov was going to endure. We got to see his psychological state change, gradually, and the torture he goes through in his own mind.

Do I recommend this book?
….
I’m sure you guys can assume for yourselves.
What were YOUR final, and true thoughts about the book? (I’m sure I can go back to some of your blogs and read about that.)
If you enjoyed this book, I would really like to hear your opinions as to why you enjoyed it (what characters your identified with, did you like Raskolnikov as a whole, and did Dostoyevsky succeed in keeping you reeled in?) I would like to be enlightened

2 comments:

  1. That is exactly what I wrote in my final entry. I felt that in some strange way we were given the choice to decide whether or not Raskolinkov's punishment was well deserving. As if in a way the reader is the jury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rema just like you, I feel the exact same way about the novel. I feel there was no actual point Doestoevsky was trying to make. Just by reading the title, the reader could assume there was a crime committed and then came the punishment. I did not like Raskolnikovs' character at all because he was so sure of himself that he was not going to get caught for his actions. What ends up happening? He turned HIMSELF in ! From the very beginging I felt there was something wrong with him. No one just waked up one morning and decides that they want to committ a murder. That is just insane, which Raskolnikov turns out to be.

    ReplyDelete