Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer reading assignment: Journal #2 A Streetcar Named Desire-- Briana

As I neared the middle of the play, many doors opened for each character and the drama began to intensify.
Blanche becomes interested in one of Stanley’s poker friends Mitch, who undoubtedly seemed to instantly become very infatuated with her.” I must admit, I think Mitch is a sweet caring individual who respects women unlike Stanley, and someone who would be a good provider and help nurture and love Blanche, Unfortunately the damage is already done with Blanche and it’s a little to late. When I started reading scene five, the part with the young man, my stomach turned. I could not have hit the nail on the head better! I knew she was going to make a move or sexual gesture of some sort! Not because of her reputation for sexual urges or having “numerous” lovers, but the fact that he was an attractive Younger boy. Could it have reminded her of the “boy” she lost long ago? Could feelings of the past arise within her? Could that one kiss “softly and sweetly” bring her back to when she was 16 again and truly “in love”?

I supposed scene six was a very strong scene where we were able to understand more of who Blanche really was. The chemistry between Mitch and Blanche was powerful. It seemed that they both did indeed like each other (him more than her, of course). They were very comfortable with each other and spoke as if they had been married for quite some time. I found them especially comfortable when Blanche was able to confess what had happened to her late husband and the details of how she "broke" him and ironically how he in return "broke" her. After conveying such a story to Mitch it was as if he fell even more in love with her by replying “You need somebody. And I need somebody, too. Could it be you and me, Blanche?” However Knowing Blanche it’s very hard to believe this relationship is going to turn out happily ever after.

3 comments:

  1. Briana, I happen to find this journal really interesting. You have some good questions as well. Furthermore, I agree on many of the points that you made. One for instance, about the character of Micth. I also do believe that unlike Stanley he seems so loving and caring and nurturing- something like what Blanche would need, but is is really what she deserves? I think not. In my opinion, the poor woman is really damaged beyond repair. I can also relate to how you felt when she kissed that young boy. I coudl see it coming a mile away. She's just soo promiscous and lost- I feel like she keeps on throwing herslf at men to feel love- because she's never really felt it. To answer your question, perhaps the young boy really did remind her of her first true love- is that maybe also why she had an affair with one of her young students?

    Lastly, I agree with your final point about the outcome of Mitch's and Blanche's relationship. I actually feel bad for mitch because he sounds like such a noble man with a grand heart- he deserves much more better than Blanche. Unfortunately though, I don't see it being a happy ending for the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Justine's comment:
    I agree, I feel bad for Mitch as well. The way he speaks to Blanche with such intense words shows that he just wants to be happy. He thinks he found someone that he can be with. It's sad that Blanche doesn't feel the same way toward Mitch because if she did they could have possibly had a nice relationship.

    ReplyDelete