Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer reading assignment Journal #3: Crime and Punishment--Felice

Punishment is something no one likes to be a part of. Seeing as how you are all teenagers, I’m sure each and every one of you has endured some kind of punishment. However, there are several different kinds of punishment. I’m not just talking about the kind put upon you, where your parents take away your cell phone or television privileges for a week or two. There is also the kind of punishment that you inflict upon yourself. People do things that they regret and often can’t live with. This comes as a result of not fully thinking things through. In this book, I think the punishment is not Raskolnikov getting put in jail in the end, but more having to live with what he had done throughout the entire book. Raskolnikov kept getting sick and fainting whenever the murder was mentioned. He was quite obviously in a state of depression, madness and paranoia. I’m sure if Raskolnikov had known how he would feel after the murders, he would have severely reanalyzed the sit uation. Punishment from someone else is often less painful than the punishment you put upon yourself. When other people punish you, the punishment eventually ends. Sometimes you have to live with your own punishment for the rest of your life.

All in all, the punishment lesson is really all I learned from the book. Although I knew it before, it became apparent to my life and reinforced itself. The rest of the book did not enlighten me to any new lessons. I wish I could say that I enjoyed this book, however, I didn’t like any of the book, at all. The only intriguing part was seeing how Raskolnikov was torturing himself after he murdered the two women, but if Raskolnikov hadn’t committed the crime in the first place, there would have been no need for torture. I still don’t even understand his true intentions for murder. I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone, as harsh as that sounds. I’m more than happy to be finished with it, although I probably shouldn’t say that. I know we’ll likely being working on it more when class starts. I’m really excited…

5 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you, Felice. The only thing I got out of this book is, "the punishment you give yourself, is worse than any punishment someone else can give you".

    Deep down, I think Raskolnikov knew what he was getting himself into. I mention this in one of my blogs- I think he rushed the murder because he didn't want to keep dwelling on the idea, and eventually convince himself to back away from the whole idea.

    I also share the same feelings as you- I didn't like this book at all. Perhaps it's simply because it was written a long time ago. Or maybe it just wasn't the type of genre we like reading about.
    I find dialouge essential. And this book just didn't cut it for me in that department. It took us too long to truly be able to characterize Raskolnikov.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felice,
    I must agree with you in the fact that Punishment is something that no one likes. I certainly do not like punishment unless I know I deserve it. As for Rasklinkov, I am sure that we all knew that he was going to be punished one way or another, it was just a matter of time and as you concluded, he was punished both physically by being put in jail and mentally as he is troubled by the dirty deed every single day. I think Rasklinkov did not deserve to go to jail. If I was the Judge presiding over the rulings, I would be able to see that Rasklinkov has suffered enough and will continue to suffer as long as he lives. The guilt by itself is enough of a punishment. I just hope that Rasklinkov does not go mad once in jail, I really like his character.
    As for the lessons learned from this book, I must disagree that Punishment is the only thing Dostoevsky wanted us to learn. Yes, we witnessed the crime and we found the punishment but there were also lessons circulating in the background of Rasklinkov's life. Another lesson you might have learned is the fact that a true friend will stay with you forever. Razumkin was there to support Rasklinkov even when he was delusional and sleep for four days straight. He vowed to take care of Pulcheria and Dunya after Rasklinkov left. Razumkin was a true friend and we all need one like him. A final lesson that i have learned is that regardless of how inhumane we might appear to be through our actions, words and deeds, we still have a human side to us. Rasklinkov murdered two innocent people. I hated him when he murdered them but then i ran across a scene where he comes to Dunya's rescue at her father's funeral meal. He also helps with the financial aspects of the funeral. He cared for every single person he encountered. Thus, Rasklinkov is truly a human being like you and me because we all have times where we do something we regret but then there are also times where we do things considered good. This balance is created due to the existence of a heart and Rasklinkov had a good one. He was a man of good deeds, regardless of how devilish he may appear.
    -Bin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much do agree with you Felice on the point made that the punishment one puts upon oneself is often less painful then if it were to be recieved. Clearly Raskolkinov learned his lesson in a bad way.All of his thoughts about the murder basically consumed his head and his life. He was not living- but rather just breathing- his soul had been taken from him the day he committed the murder. I also do agree that had he thought his decision through a bit more thoroughly and realized the consequences, he would not have been in the positon that he was. It's definitely important for us to realize the consequences of our actions, and thus as we get older, we have to start taking into account things that will occur after.
    Being that I do agree with your analysis of the book, I must say I completely disagree with your opinion and frankly don't undertstand how you can feel that way. I absolutely loved this book and thought it was truly a masterpiece by the author. Like you I was not enlightened on the punishment part, but I was enlightened on many other points. Such as perspective on life and how one must carry and maintain themselves. Undertsanding that we onely have one life to live I believe is very important- but even more important is choosing how one leads their life. Furthermore, if one makes a mistake, they must understand that once again we only live one life, therefore they should try their best to lift themselves up and give a shot at life differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felice, you make some good points about punishment I especially liked what you wrote when you said "Punishment from someone else is often less painful than the punishment you put upon yourself" on the contrary i too touched upon how i thought Raskolnikov was punished not by going to jail but, in actuality the mental and emotion unstableness he did endure after he murdered the two women. After reading this book and attempting to comprehend the purpose, i have come to the conclusion we are not truly sure as to why he committed the crimes however, keeping our main focused on his actions afterwards. In addition I have to say i agree with you when Raskolnikov begins torturing himself after the murders i found that to be extremely alluring as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with the message you got out of the book, "Punishment ... yourself". I actually didn't put that together with the book until i read your blog. The fact that Raskolnikov wasn't very stable to begin with colliding with him murdering to women unjustly, is a great enough punishment. It killed him inside which is way worse that feeling physical pain. We cannot always deal with emotional issues because they take a greater toll on us.

    ReplyDelete