Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: Crime and Punishment Journal #3-- Fred

It was so… simplistic. Nothing to ponder over, nothing to satisfy my nicotine for excitement, and nevertheless a bashfully uninteresting way to meet the back of the cover. Throughout the whole novel, I spent my time thinking up the themes Dostoevsky concealed in the diction, and was actually quite satisfied with what I could make out of it. However for the ending, alls I have left is a bit of criticism in how he organized the last chapters. Firstly, it was very sad to see the outcome of the entire Marmadelov family. To me they played the most interesting role in the story, apart from the supposed suspense on what Raskolnikov would do. Katerina and Sonya’s story is the most pitiful to me in the sense that the daughter has been through so much, and her stepmother didn’t exactly have a Rockefeller lifestyle either. However it pains me more to see such good people finish unkindly when the murderer himself got off with jail time.

Now here’s what I would have done personally to improve the ending. For one, make every single point expressed in the epilogue appear before Part 6’s conclusion. Personally I think if the epilogue’s points in Sonya and Rasko’s affection for each other finally being confirmed, and maybe, not to sound like a pain lover, have Raskolnikov’s mother pass away before it could have probably made the book conclude on a more pitiful note, as by having more twinge knotted into the climax would have given me a somewhat pitiful opinion on what Raskolnikov went through. Why did he have to confess at that moment, through disappointment of his sister? There’s no moral, everything is canceled out and wasted in my opinion judging by how the book ended. Also why put this whole Christian thing with Lazarus, its hypocritical considering the worst sin biblically is committed, and it contains a dialogue between a prostitute and a murderer. To add to this, in a way one can say they live happily ever after, thanks to what the epilogue explains. In about a decade Raskolnikov will free with Sonya and they’ll leave the outskirts of Siberia to return to Petersburg .
On a brighter note, I suppose I can say Dostoevsky leaves the novel with a sense that all actions are worthy of renewal? Other than this, I would love someone to express some points of reason for the ending. Tha

No comments:

Post a Comment