Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: Crime and Punishment Journal #3-- Alyson

As the book came to a close, I was still as bored as I was in the beginning. I hate book-bashing, because obviously there are things that I didn’t pick up on as I was reading, but it was such a slow read!

Personally, I do understand why this book is considered such a classic. Doestoevsky wrote a novel that transcends (and will continue to transcend) different cultures and time periods throughout human history, because he so straightforwardly wrote a story about the human condition. This novel can be translated into any time period and any society, because of the way Dostoevsky portrayed ordinary people’s struggles within themselves and within society. For example, Raskolnikov’s personal struggle with insanity as well as Marmeladov’s daughter having to sell herself to prostitution due to their desperate situation display very real issues that still occur today. I feel that is the true definition of a classic, not how much fun a book is to read.

Although I didn’t take anything from the story, per se, something did click in my mind. The story was about Raskolnikov’s actions and the consequences that followed…the basic idea that every action has a reaction-- i.e. crime : punishment :: action : consequence. That being said, I sadly didn’t enjoy the novel as a whole, and found it a very arduous and unreasonably lengthy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment