Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Summer Reading Assignment: A Streetcar Named Desire Journal #1-- Rema

Rereading a Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams aids me in sensing a new light being shed upon the playwright, allowing me to notice certain details that I didn’t bother to think twice about in my English class last year. For example, I never bothered to visualize the setting that Williams places for us before each scene. Personally, I just wanted to skip to the dialogue, and get to the end of the play. However, this time around I tried to keep my attention focused on details that are there for a reason.

One thing that I noticed, that I didn’t notice before was the name of the street in New Orleans that Stanley and Stella live on: Elysian Fields. Back in 9th grade when we were required to write a summer assignment on Greek or Roman mythology, I had chosen Greek mythology. Upon my research, I had learned about Elysian Fields. In Greek mythology, Elysian Fields is an underworld for heroes- a paradise after death. It was said to be wonderful place for heroes to reside in. Now, I don’t know if I’m reading too deep into Tennessee Williams’ intention with having his protagonists live on Elysian Fields, but I found it quite ironic. Blanche went to live with her sister, Stella, at Elysian Fields, desperate for a new start. What makes this ironic is that Blanche was hopeless, and after we learn that she had already lost so much (i.e; Belle Reve, her husband, her job, and her reputation) - it would be safe to assume that part of Blanche was already dead, and she was seeking a pleasure place- a safe, and familiar haven with her sister. Am I reading too much into this?

At the end of scene one, we learn that Blanche was once married. What seemed very sly, and peculiar to me was when Stanley asked her, “You were married once, weren’t you?” What was peculiar to me was right before asking that, he said to Blanche, “…Stella’s spoke of you a good deal.” If Stella had spoken of Blanche a “good deal” wouldn’t she have mentioned one of the most important, and devastating occurrences in her sister’s life? After all, Blanche’s husband had died young (she refers to him as “the boy.”) It seemed to me that Stanley wanted to expose some sort of weakness that Blanche possessed underneath her wealthy stuck-up attitude; as if it to show her that he was the one to rule the household, and she wasn’t going to come in his way.

2 comments:

  1. Rema, your mind for detail the second time reading this play is exceptional. I assure you that no one besides you notice that Stella and Stanley lived on Elysian Fields. They may have glanced at it in quickly reading descriptions, but as you said, most people just want to get to the dialogue. With that being said, when you asked if you were reading too much into it, I personally think you are. I could be mistaken. Don't get me wrong, your memory is remarkable. However, I feel like such a small detail would not be one of symbolism. Symbols are often mentioned numerous times throughout a novel or play, where as where the Kowalski's reside is only mentionend in the first sentence of the play's description, and then never again. As I said, I could be mistaken.

    I know you have read my blog and know that I thought Stanley was being rather kind to Blanche at first. In your saying that Stanley was trying to bring out a weakness in Blanche, I would have to disagree. It is possible that Stella merely mentioned Blanche's marriage briefly and then didn't revisit the subject. I feel like Stanley had heard of the marriage and then brought it up as more small talk, not expecting the response Blanche gave. However, I could understand your interpretation, as well; it is very well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on your observation about the Elysian Fields. I think Tennessee Williams was trying to tell the reader, us, that there is something more to the poor city that Stella and Stanley live in. Before Blanche came, Stella seemed very content with her life that she was living. Even though it was no Belle Reve, she was satisfied with what she had. I also read a lot into the narrative of the play. The narration gives you a sense of being there while the play is occuring. It gives you a feeling of being part of the play as if you were right there in the room with Blanche, Stanley or Stella.

    ReplyDelete