Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #2 Crime and Punishment-- Samuel

Well, there are two points that are really confusing for me in Crime and Punishment. The first conundrum I am facing is how a prostitute able to be a religious Christian. It just doesn’t make sense. Isn’t prostitution considered a large sin under the bible? I’m just curious how Sonya lives the way she does, with these opposing “virtues”. The second question I have is why Nikolai would confess to the crime. From my understanding it was “virtuous” for him to take the blame for another. But that means the actual murderer gets to roam free, so how is that “virtuous”? Maybe I am confused for no reason, so hopefully someone could clear this up for me?
Was it just me experiencing déjà vu? I’m pretty sure Katerina is a lot like Blanche from A Streetcar Named Desire. If you take a look at the two characters, they are somewhat similar. Both of them try to elevate themselves in status amongst others. Take a look at Katerina. She claims to be from a wealthy family, even an aristocratic one. Blanche used to have money, but lost all her wealth. At the memorial, Katerina insults her guests because she thinks she is above them….even though she practically has nothing. Take a look at my journals on A Streetcar Named Desire, and you will see why Blanche has absolutely no justification in degrading others. Both these characters are similar in the fact that they think they are above others, but in

1 comment:

  1. When I found out that Sonya was a prostitute I wondered the same about religion. Being christian means having certain rules whether they are extreme or simple. Prostitution is forbidden in the bible therefore I don't understand why she'd do this. In addition to not understanding Sonya's prostitution, I found Raskolnikov falling in love with her far more disturbing and unreal.

    ReplyDelete