Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer Reading Assignment Journal #1: A Streetcar Named Desire –Ebenezer

After reading the first couple scenes of the play, I started to get of feel of the storyline and the subtle messages that Mr. Williams is trying to express. When Blanche is headed to Elysian Fields, she harmlessly asks for the whereabouts of her sister. The point that fascinated me the most was how she retrieved that information: “I’m looking for… Stella Dubois. I mean- Mrs. Stanley Kowalski” Her words are not only intentional but a significant marker of what kind of time the characters live in. Decades ago, women played a lesser role in society, while men took charge of work-life and the family name. Blanche must have assumed that people wouldn’t automatically know who her sister was, because she’s a female. However, she assumed that they may have a fair idea of the male head of the household. Her statement has effectively changed my perception of gender roles in this book. Now I’m expecting the male characters to appear more authoritative and commanding; as the balance of power to should be tipped in their favor.

In addition, I’m starting to take notice in the way Blanche behaves. It is not necessarily her state of mind that interests me, but rather her situation. She is self indulgent person who is sensitive about her image. In addition, she is constantly looking for people to shower her with compliments. I get the feeling that she is alone in life and has suffered a lot throughout her lifetime. Some previous bloggers have mentioned that she has created a hole in her heart; which she aims to fill it with superficial gestures and remarks. Despite the way she acts towards Stanley and Stella, I feel pity towards her and I’m hoping for her to undergo a transformation. Hopefully someone can step up and help her take control of her life. If Blanche manages to change, she will definitely become a dynamic character who will differ among the male, static individuals like Stanley.

3 comments:

  1. As much as I was tempted to take pity on Blanche, I just couldn't summon myself into doing it especially after the way she bad mouthed the house in which Stella and Stanley live. I actually found it funny how hard she tries to make herself seem so big when in fact at this point in her life, she's nobody. I actually think she needs to be alone where she can think ratioanlly and without worrying what people think of her. There's a saying that yopu can only help someone that wants to be helped. Blanche is by no means ready to be helped because she doesn't think she needs the help. She keeps having these delusions and actually belives them. Because of this I found her plight to be entertaining and funny. I know that sounds insensitive, but seriously I couldn't fathom someone taking charge in her life yet because she hasn't confronted herself yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly do not think Blanche deserves pity. If it truly is insanity that drives her to do the things she does, then it's a shame that no one tried to help her. However I believe that it is a mixture of her own personality and mental health which put her in her situation.
    She has created her own world with her lies and deciet and now is paying for it. The possibility of her changing after a lifetime of pretending to live high and might. Some of the cruelty that she recieves is way out of line, like the rape. Mitch dumping her, and the one way ticket back to Laurel were events well deserved. She lied to Mitch and paid. She disrespected Stanley and Stella's home and is getting kicked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right when you say it may not be entirely Blanche's fault for her condition. But on the other hand, Blanche is not a little kid, she is a grown woman. Therefor, if she were really feeling the need to be showered with compliments or attention she should deal with it an act her age. People live busy lives and they dont have the time to baby and adult. We grow up for a reaon, that not being to be treated like a child hungry for attention.

    ReplyDelete