Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #1 A Streetcar Name Desire-Justin

Like many other students in the class, this too is my second time reading Tennessee Williams’ most-outstanding play, A streetcar Named Desire. Reading it reminds me of all the discussions we had in my 11th Grade English class. Whether it was a debate about Blanche being considered the antagonist in the play, or about questioning Stanley’s attitude, the play still intrigues me with some of the same feelings I had the first time. However, this time, I feel a little more sympathy for the characters.
As I read through the first few scenes of the play, I found myself, once again, unhappy with Blanche. I still envision her as the same irresponsible, self-centered liar as she first appeared. She seems to think that everything is her fault. The only way she can cope with this is by drinking her way out of thinking about it. But what can she really do? She just lost the plantation in Belle Reve, her family’s most-prized possession. The way she lets her drinking get out of hand as well as letting her emotions cloud her thoughts leads me to believe that she is sick. At the end of scene one when Stanley brings up Blanche’s marriage, she “sinks down”, almost as if what’s on her mind is too painful to discuss. I think that she’s held on to so much of her past over the years that it’s become difficult for her to discuss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment