Saturday, August 22, 2009

Summer Reading Assignment Journal #2: A Streetcar Named Desire-- Samuel

In scene seven of A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams, Stanley had done his own investigation on Blanche and the truth was surprising and extremely humorous. The fact that she slept around so much that her house was labeled off-limits to nearby soldiers had me putting down the book and shaking my head in disapproval with a smirk on my face. She was even kicked out of a low-class hotel, the Flamingo and caught sleeping with a student while she was a teacher. I understand having a sex life, but this was past the point-of-no-return. She basically became a tourist attraction that people are warned not to visit which is a little bit too.
I also realized that since Blanche had come to the Kowalski home soon after being kicked out of the Flamingo, which means she must have lost Bella Reeve a while back. In the beginning of the play, I had gotten the feeling that Blanche had lost Bella Reeve and had no choice but to come visit her sister. However, it seems that it is just another scheme of hers to gain her surrounding presence’s attention.
Honestly, Stella should wizen up. I understand that it is her sister, but she has even experienced her dramatic behavior. And if Stanley had people he didn’t even know, from other towns, confirm the stories, then those are pretty serious accusations that Stella brushed off. But she should also realize that the true nature of her husband is slowly being revealed to her. He is probably more animalistic and violent than she has ever known or expected. Blanche could possibly end up being Stella’s savior, if Stella would only leave him.
It seems that as the play continues Blanche’s mental insanity increases. It’s most probably due to her constant confrontation with Stanley. Stanley hasn’t made her life any easier, and by causing her to become emotionally unstable, she has been forced to make herself feel better by lying to herself and the people around her.
I also noticed that it is possible that Stanley and Blanche foil (a literary technique) each other. Stanley lives a settled realistic life. He is very down to earth and his character and personality are very durable, as in not easily rattled b other’s actions. Contrary to Stanley, Blanch has lived a nomadic life ever since Bella Reeve was “lost”. Also, she lives in a fantasy, one she tries to create with lies. In addition, she is a very fragile character which is evident during her birthday scene, when she bursts into tears after Stanley’s birthday surprise.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, you are one funny kid. “She basically became a tourist attraction that people are warned not to visit which is a little bit too.” You say you had to put your book down and shake your head in disapproval, well, after having read that line from you I literally LOL’ed. I do have to say though; you and I have very similar feelings about this play, in many different ways. You seem to have done some very good “reading between the lines” to have discovered the truth about Belle Reve and Blanche’s personal history. The fact that Stella is so naive to these “rumors” is absurd! I agree with you wholeheartedly when you say Stella should “wizen up”. She is only hurting herself the more she denies it. While it appears you have not yet finished the play, I won’t spoil any of it for you (that is unless you already read it last year, which it appears most of the class has). I would like to make one point that I disagree with you on though, and that is where you claim Stella should leave Stanley. From what I can tell, Stella and Stanley had a pretty damn solid relationship before Blanche came along. She tagged along when he went bowling, they obviously had an active sex life (Stella was pregnant), and despite a few occasional drunken outbursts, they were crazy in love. I do agree that he could have maybe laid off a little bit when Blanche arrived, and that in turn probably would have made life easier for Stella. But, let’s not forget that Blanche was not wanted in that house, and she most definitely overstayed her welcome. While there obviously wouldn’t be a sequel to this play, I would like some closure on what eventually happens to Blanche, and Stella and Stanley, and what the real story is behind Belle Reve. While you did clear a few things up for me by comparing Blanche to a tourist attraction (I’m still smiling from that comment), it did not completely satisfy my curiosity. I hope you enjoy reading the rest of the play, I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam I couldn't have said that better if I tried. Your First paragraph should be part of the back flap of the book with the background information. Like Josh though I disagree with the idea that Stella should leave Stanley, the main reason being that she is pregnant with child. But also like Josh pointed out there does seem to be some sort of genuine love between the two and I think that's worth the sacrifice. At the same time however, I like the fact that you figured out Blanche would be able to bring out the true Stanley for Stella to see. Based on what we read, it doesn't seem like she's fully aware of how raw Stanley can be at times and Blanche seems to be the key for her figuring this out. Like I said though, first paragrapsh definitely deserves to be part of the background information of the book.

    ReplyDelete