Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer reading assignment: A Streetcar Named Desire Journal #3-- Anthony

After reading this book a second time, I realized I hadn't asked a certain question the first time around, why did Stanley rape Blanche? At first I thought the answer was clear. She was being a brat so Stanley gave her what he thought she deserved. Then another option popped into my head. On page 130 Stanley says "We've had this date with each other from the beginning!" to Blanche right before he rapes her. It made me wonder is it possible that the rape wasn't a spur of the moment act caused by his drunkenness? Was the rape perhaps something he really did plan on doing from the beginning? The answer to this question can totally change a persons perception of Stanley. If you believe he raped her because he was drunk and all his angry feeling came to a head at that moment, it still leaves room for a compassionate, sensitive side in Stanley to exist. He exhibited this after striking Stella, and feeling bad about it and wanting her back. If however, you choose to believe that Stanley had chosen to rape Blanche ahead of time, and that when the opportunity presented itself he capitalized, then that leaves no room for compassion in him. It means he really is animalistic, and his whole apology to Stella is fake. If in fact you choose this choice, it also means Blanche was right in characterizing Stanley the way she did meaning he really was a caveman.

Now there's no doubt Blanche really was a little insane. What she went through was a bit traumatizing and undoubtedly had some effect on her, however, Stella her own sister, who the entire play was a suck up, chose not to believe her this one time when it counted. The irony here served to add a highly dramatic effect, but also it made me as a reader want there to be another part to the story describing whether Stella ever found out the truth. Now I have a sister, and I know she's lied to me before. I always wonder though whether she's telling the truth or not and I'm sure Stella went through the same thing here. It would pain me if I ever found out that I let my sister down the one time she needed me most, it would almost be better if I didn't find out which is what happened here with Stella. She would never forgive herself for knowingly sentencing her sister to life in the asylum when she wasn't totally crazy. And it would have meant that she'd have to leave Stanley which wasn't a good option since she had just given birth. Unfortunately sacrificing Blanche, even though it wasn't totally necessary, was probably the best option here so that Stella could go on with her kid and be provided with food and shelter and live with Stanley who I think did genuinely love her, even if it was only in a minute way.

2 comments:

  1. You know Anthony, I have to agree with you. Depending on how you view Stanley's actions will change your opinion of his him and his character. However, I think it might have been Stanley's way of dominating Blanche or displacing anger because of her disrespect towards him. I'm not sure what the case is, but either way I dont think he has a compassionate side. He does what is best for himself, and if begging and feeling guilty for a day or two does the trick, then so be it.

    He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. And it's probably because there have not been any real consequences for them. Stella left him, but it wasn't for a legitmate amount of time. And now he gets away with raping Blanche. My point is, Stanley is animalistic whether or not the rape was pre-meditated because he can be.

    As for the rest of Stella's life, I'm sure she will be having doubts about Stanley. How could she not? Her own sister's voice will linger in the back of her mind every time she would see Stanley. Maybe one day she will believe her sister, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony
    We have read the book the first time around together in class and yes, you are correct this question of why Stanley raped Blanche is still unanswered. Nevertheless, you gave two choices, and my answer is that he raped her out of drunkenness rather than a desire from the beginning to do so. I like Stanley and I want to believe that he has a human side to him and so regardless of how interesting and demanding it is to believe that he raped Blanche out of desire, I like to believe that he was just drunk and didn’t know what he was doing. I like romance and so accusing Stanley of being animalistic would just ruin the romance that exists between Stella and Stanley.
    I am glad to see that you compared the novel to a real-life situation. I also have a much younger sister plus a younger brother. If I let down my sister and brother the only time they needed me, I would not know what to do. As the oldest of three it is my responsibility to make sure that the lives my brother and sister is filled with comfort and happiness. This of course means believing them when they are lying or telling the truth and I am willing to risk anything to make sure that my own flesh and blood remains happy. If this means that I must separate with my wife, then it is a risk I am willing to take because your own flesh and blood will always stay with you whether you become rich and famous or whether you lose everything and you are forced to live on the streets. It is a hard choice to make especially for Stella and frankly, I am disappointed at the fact that she let her sister be taken away. Her sister will always remain her sister but a husband might get a divorce and become an ex, therefore I hope she finds out the truth so she can learn a lesson of always siding with your won flesh and blood.
    As for reality, let us just hope that none of us are put into a situation where we have to pick between a wife/husband and a brother/sister, because it is truly one of the most difficult decisions a person has to make.
    -Bin

    ReplyDelete