Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Reading assignment: Journal #2 A Streetcar Named Desire--Eriana

Now that I am well into the play, a lot of the beginning is finally making sense. Blanche is a very odd character she seems to be holding on to her youth, not wanting to realize that she is growing older. It makes me feel rather sad in her case because she is unwilling to live in reality. The tension between Stella and Blanche is rapidly increasing and the source of the issue is Stanley. The fact that Blanche doesn't understand why Stella is putting up with a "mad man" is causing a strain on their sisterly relationship. After the violence of a drunken poker night, Blanche is in utter shock of Stanley temper and behavior. I personally don't blame her, being in an abusive relationship is a horrible way to live life and Stella is just in denial.
My grasp of Williams message from the play at this point and time is that sisters have to have boundaries in which they should think wisely before crossing. Respecting those boundaries will allow a much normal relationship between those two. The plot structure seems to be a ticking time bomb. Almost as if anything can happen and can possibly lead to another explosive fight involving Stanley. The more I get to know about him the more I understand why he is growing tired of Blanche, especially after she calls him "ape-like." However that does not justify his temper. My worry lies in the un born baby, and weather or not all of this stress will get to Stella. The writing style of Tennessee Williams strikes me very well because he is able to write all scenes nicely and it allows me to see the story in my mind with much ease. I'm looking forward to finishing this play.

No comments:

Post a Comment