Sunday, August 19, 2007

Writing Style

) I enjoy Dostoevsky’s writing. He has good content and is now one of my favorites. I feel like I am a witness to what is going on around me. I get a full picture with all the dialogue, thoughts and descriptions. He writes from an omniscient viewpoint and displays a great understanding of the human psychological condition. His sentence structure isn’t perfect and choice of words could use some work. I will cut him some slack because I am reading a translated version of his original work. I enjoyed reading the bit where Marmeladov was describing his life story. Dostoevsky was able to successfully build the character so I can understand him as a person. This is truly a psychological book, as it focuses on what is going on inside Raskolnikov’s head. I got a clear picture of his motives, justifications and guilt after the crime had been committed. It was like I was able to take a mind reading device and think what he was thinking. Dostoevsky focuses more on the characters’ actions and words instead of filling page space up with small details. I think that Joseph Conrad used too many details. Most of them were unnecessary to the plot line. Dostoevsky gives me a good experience without the extra baggage. Besides, if he used as many details as Conrad, the story would have been twice as long. Dostoevsky is able to clearly convey Raskolnikov’s conscience after the crime has been committed.
Jack N.

No comments:

Post a Comment