Friday, August 17, 2007

Long-Term Effects

In the beginning of Heart of Darkness , Marlow is examined by a doctor who studies a man’s head before travels to study the effects of the head afterwards. Well the effects are more internal then physical. Marlow returns to the Brussels a different person. Sure he survives his illness, but he barely survived the experience, a darkness that will remain with him.
I felt that although Heart of Darkness was a great story, it was a little dull at times. Some things were very difficult to comprehend at first glance. And at times I found myself zoning out while reading, which caused me to have to reread passages. It took me some time to read Heart of Darkness because of the wordiness of Conrad’s writing style. However one thing I was able to feel through the book was the always present darkness. There’s a couple of the things I’m still fuzzy on, but I’m looking forward to discussing all of it in class.
posted by Christina R.

No comments:

Post a Comment