Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Russian Trader

Out of all the characters in his book I think the Russian trader was my favorite character. He is described as a young man and a devoted follower of Mr. Kurtz. Whenever he speaks of Kurtz he describes him almost as a god. His devotion to Kurtz is so grand that he “nursed [him] through two illnesses” and although Kurtz once threatened to kill him for a little piece of ivory the Russian still stood firmly by him. This incident I think made the Russian's devotion stronger. “And it was true, too. I gave him the ivory. What did I care! But I didn’t clear out. No, no. I couldn’t leave him.” He almost sounds like he is obsessed with Kurtz which I found very funny because Kurtz is not a nice guy.
Grace O.

1 comment:

  1. Why isn't it pathetic or lame that the Russian trader continues to be devoted to Kurtz even when Kurtz mistreats him? What about his character seemed admirable to you?

    ReplyDelete