Monday, August 20, 2007

All Four of Matt's posts on Crime and Punishment

Though it may not make for an easy read the great amount of detail and description in Crime and Punishment sets it apart from other novels I’ve read. It’s not so much the description of events in the novel but more so the great amount of detail used to describe the feelings and thoughts of Rodya. These descriptions allow you to understand the feelings of Rodya. For example on the bottom of page 11 when there is a mention of how there are certain people, even strangers who for some reason just get our attention. It’s impossible to have not witnessed this feeling before. Once I read it I was at that bar witnessing the intriguing drunk official.

Though I have never experienced committing a crime anywhere never to the severity of murder I was still able to relate to the feelings going through Rodya’s head. The way in which he scrutinized every little detail inside his head, trying to make sure that he covered up every lose end but still feeling as if no matter how hard he tried he’d forget something obvious was something I could relate to. Without bringing in any specific examples, (for obvious reasons) when I’ve done something (in theory) that I wasn’t supposed to, that ran the risk of getting me in trouble I went over the top to ensure that I didn’t get caught. No matter how much you stress over the situation or how long you spend getting rid of any shred of evidence you still feel as if there is something obvious that due to your panicked state of mind you overlooked. I may have never committed a real crime, but the description of Rodya’s state of mind made me feel his panic and experience his neurotic state of mind as he looked around thinking of every last detail.

So far my favorite part of the book was the conversations had between Rodya and Porfiry Petrovich. Not only was it between the Murderer and a detective but I actually thoroughly enjoyed the discussion about Rodya’s article. I found his philosophy about extraordinary people and ordinary people. I agree with certain facets of it. Though I think taking it to the level of taking lives maybe to much, I think that certain people maybe required to break laws or go against society's accepted ways in order to further mankind or improve the world. Galileo was on the verge of being executed while in reality he was correct and generations ahead of the people around him. I wonder will there be an extraordinary person in my lifetime? Has there already been?

I wonder if Rodya is going to use his philosophy to justify the murder he committed. He did have noble intentions and weighed the good verse the evil in what he was doing. Clearly he cannot include himself in the same category as Mohamed or Napoleon but he did kill for the benefit of others. I’m not sure if Porfiry brought up Rodya’s article to coerce a sort of confession out of him but it defiantly struck a nerve, I’m interested to see what Rodya makes of this incident.

Porfiry’s interrogation of Rodya was intense and very descriptive. I felt as if I was sitting the room watching them each play mind tricks on the other. Each man was cunning, as they attempted to out smart the other. I loved how Porfiry explained the legal interrogation techniques that he uses to Rodya as he was using them on him. I kept seeing the scene as if I was watching Law and Order. I want to know what Porfiry really knows. Is Rodya freaking out or is Porfiry really purposely driving him crazy with the knowledge of Rodya’s guilt? I was especially intrigued by Porfiry’s reference of criminals being like moths circling around a candle unable to fly away. That’s just how Rodya is, he should probably be avoiding the police yet he voluntarly showed up and approached Porfiry without being asked to.

The in depth mind games going on in the novel keep me hooked. No only do you see what’s going on but you truly understand every aspect of it. I can’t think of any other work I’ve read that gets the reader so involved in the story. I feel as if I really know the characters due to the amazing character development. From physical characteristics to emotional feelings Fyodor Dostoevsky leaves nothing out.
posted by Matt S.

No comments:

Post a Comment