Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lies

"You know I hate, detest, and can't bear a lie, not because I amstraighter than the rest of us, bust simply because it appalls me.There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies-- which isexactly what I hate and detest of the world-- what I want to forget.It makes me miserable and sick, like biting something rotten woulddo." pages 96-97This quote really stood out to me while reading Heart of Darkness. Thedescription of how he feels when lied to was very vivid. I had thisimage of eating a sour tasting piece of fruit or smelling old milk.Then I began to wonder about lies and truth. How do we know that thetruth is not a lie? What is the truth? What about the saying thatevery lie has some truth in it? Has he really never stretched thetruth? Has he never told a white lie? I find that hard to believe. Ihate when people lie to me, but I would be lying if I said I havenever told a lie. In fact, I would be telling a lie if I said I knewsomeone who has never told a lie. People say truth v. lie just likegood v. evil, however sometimes I feel as if the truth and a lie arealmost the same thing.
Dylan P.

No comments:

Post a Comment