Monday, August 13, 2007

The Ending/ Razhumikhin

Crime and Punishment as a whole was a very interesting and complex book, that I enjoyed reading. However I found that the epilogue was a very unnecessary addition to an already amazing story. I liked the cliff hanger ending of the last chapter. I felt like although it left me in suspense, it also left it up to my imagination to fill in the blank. What I did like about the epilogue was the insight it gave about Rodion’s state of mind in the end, he was finally happy. This gave a peaceful conclusion to a chaotic, psychologically thrilling novel.
While all the characters in Crime and Punishment are compelling and dynamic in their own ways, my favorite was Razumikhin. I found him to be an incredibly kind and compassionate person. He brought positivity and comfort to those worried about Rodion’s condition. I was always drawn to his tranquil nature, and always wanting to do what’s right. It was very unfortunate that no matter how much of a friend Razumikhin was to Rodion, Rodion was never a friend back to him. I know it must’ve have hurt him inside, but no matter what Razumikhin never gave up on Rodion. Razumikhin is a good friend in every sense of the word, even stepping in as son and brother to Rodion’s family.
I enjoyed reading Crime and Punishment very much. It has all the elements that an amazing novel should have; suspense, dynamic characters, and a great plot line. Fyodor Dostoevsky has amazing vision.
posted by Christina R.

1 comment:

  1. Re: The ending

    I am glad you liked the ending, I did as well. The cliff hanger was great, but I am looking for closure at the end of the book. I was finally satisfied after reading the epilogue to the story. The ending reminded me of Catcher in the Rye. That book ended with the protagonist Holden in an insane asylum recovering after weeks of intense action. This book ended with the protagonist Raskolnikov recovering in a prison. After all that empathy identification I was glad to see a happy ending to the story. I think it was a great ending to a psychological thriller. After all the rising action the ending was appropriate.

    ReplyDelete