Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Finale

Wow! This book was unbelievable. I have never read a book that’s been this confusing, vague and boring. The first few pages didn’t grab my attention but I decided to try and give it a chance to get better. Unfortunately this was not the case and it seemed like the more I read the worse it got. It seemed like the book just dragged on forever. I didn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I didn’t like how the narrator was a mystery and sometimes it was Marlow narrating. It just confused me more. I also didn’t like the time period it was based on. The whole book in its entirety, the dialogue, setting, characters, and story line everything were horrendous. The only thing I did like was the Russian trader's character but not even he could have saved the book. Towards the end I found myself wanting to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn over and over again rather than reading this book again.
Grace O

3 comments:

  1. Part of the point of this book-- and many modernist texts-- is that it is supposed to represent a vague, confusing experience. Not every experience in life is clear and easy to interpret. Some parts of life are nebulous and perplexing, and this book reflects that. As you showed through your posts, you felt conflicting emotions for the characters and situations. The emotional content of the book is just as important as the plot in this case...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was so funny you said that you’d rather read Huck Finn because while reading the book I thought of the racism that was constantly declared in that book and then the misconception of color and behavior. In Heart of Darkness I found it interesting how of course England was the land of the civilized but when we move to an area of those with darker skin and a different life style or culture all of sudden they are in every way taboo. I also thought the unnecessary description and boring detail was similar to that in Huck Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I picked this book up, I would read about a paragraph and then need to put it back down. I would pick it up again and not even know what I read the paragraph before. The two narrators were definitely confusing. I understand that the book is supposed to represent a confusing experience, but this book didn't represent one, it was one. When I finished the book I was so excited I almost threw myself a party. I was actually scared to pick up Crime and Punishment.

    ReplyDelete