Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Roles Reversed

Crime and Punishment breaks the rules of most murder novels, as its main character Raskolnikov is a murderer, instead of the detective that is supposed to track him down. I find this idea incredibly interesting as in most novels the protagonist is usually the detective, or someone searching for justice due to the actions of a heartless monster and the actions they take to find it. However in this novel you can truly see what can drive a man to such a horrible act like murder. You can sympathize with Rodya and his hardships, and even try and justify the murder yourself. At certain points I thought to myself that I didn’t want him to get caught, and that he should just get over his conscience, and try to escape from his inevitable punishment.
At the same I felt contempt toward detective Porfiry Petrovich as the motions he made with his eyes had only increased the guilt that Raskolnikov felt toward the murder he committed. With every conversation that the two characters had, I just kept thinking “C’mon Rodya, find a way to get over your guilt, and find some way to prove yourself innocent,” yet at the same time I knew that he should be brought to justice for what he had done. I thought of Petrovich as a man who wanted to just do his job, and get the whole “getting justice” thing over with, however, I did not support him in his search and even hoped that he would fail.
posted by Eddie D.

2 comments:

  1. It never really occurred to me the reversal of roles between detective and criminal. It is obvious that Raskolnikov is guilty of his crime since he had a clear mind and motive. There is no denying that he is a murderer. However, I've never really noticed that the point of view was that of the pursued. I saw this novel as a mircoscope into human behavior yet you saw it in it's boarder terms: a cat and mouse game from the eyes of the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: roles reversed

    I felt very similar while reading Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky makes great use of empathy identification. I have never been in his situation (obviously) but I am able to identify with the emotion of that the character. We have all felt guilt, anxiousness, and regret- just not in the same circumstances. Instead of being repulsed by his crime, I am intrigued. I find myself hoping for the protagonist of the story to get over his guilt and avoid justice. If Dostoevsky wrote from the detective’s point of view, I would identify with the detective and find myself hoping for him to get break the case. This new, fresh point of view is crucial in shaping the hearts and minds of the audience. I was satisfied in the end that Raskolnikov was able to begin his road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete