Monday, August 13, 2007

The Horror!

Heart Of Darkness is definitely one of the most eloquent, meticulous books I have read. Unfortunately, I can’t say that it’s become a favorite. It took me a while to get into the book because of the amount of detail in it, and I sometimes found myself lost. Often times I had to read a passage several times so that I knew exactly what was going on, and so I wouldn’t get lost later on. There were parts where I found myself drawn into the book, and wanted to keep reading. But at the same time, some passages were so drawn out that it became boring. What I did find refreshing and unique was the story within the story. It provides the reader with an entirely new reading experience, in my case.
While there were some things in the book that I didn’t like, I do appreciate what a great work of literature this novel is. It was evident that Conrad put a great amount of effort into writing this novel. Also, this novel touches on a topic that not many do: colonialism and the effects that it can have. It is no mystery that colonialism was a harmful practice. It exploited those who were seen as “natives and savages” by those who were supposedly civilized. In Heart of Darkness, Conrad brings out what the evils of colonialism can do to the oppressors. The company members had been turned into heartless, cruel people who only cared about the money, and not the damage they were doing. Marlow represents that inner struggle. He recognizes the cruelty of the practice, and loathed those who practiced it, yet he had an immense love for the sea and exploration. Kurtz was right in shouting out “The horror!” as his last words, because the effects that colonialism had on both the oppressed and oppressor were horrendous.
There are still a few things that are unclear to me, hopefully we will discuss them further in class.
Posted by Wendy C.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the appreciation you have for this novel as a piece of literature although I personally did not exactly enjoy the book I do think Conrad is a very descriptive and eloquent author. I too found myself taking a long time to get into the book and it seemed as if every time I became interested the dragging out of descriptions or the elaboration on the story itself seemed to influence me to put down the book for the day. I also agree that this novel touches a lot of topics I personally never read books about. The fact that this has to do with traveling on sea already put this book way out of the realm of my desired literature. I think the difference of opinion on the definition of civilized interested me more than any thing else going on. I agree with your opinion on the book and I think I need a long class discussion to discuss both books we read this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know exactly what you're talking about in regards to the writing style Conrad has. I never would have thought such a tiny book, with about 100 pages, could fit so much detail. There were some parts when i couldn't put the book down, like the conversation with the doctor before his trip. Although it was lengthy, because it was a dialog you could see more into the time period than a block of details. However , I must confess that there were pages that i skipped or passively skimmed because i could take the amount of detail.

    ReplyDelete