Friday, August 17, 2007

Greed vs. Madness

While reading Crime And Punishment I've kept the thoughts of Edgar Allen Poe in the back of my mind. I'm still trying to make a connection between the two. Right now I'm up to the part of the book where Rask is going to kill Alyona Ivanovna. I think since overhearing the officer and student's conversation at the other table next to him, Rask's decision to kill Alyona is based more on greed than anything else. He is also using the theories that he is killing someone horrible as validation. I think he's really killing her just to get all her money and because she was evil and mean to him in the beginning so this would be the perfect payback. In " A tell Tale Heart" however the character was driven by madness because after he killed the man due to his own craziness, he didn't steal from him and he felt remorse. I think Rask is going to be different though and steal the woman's money and not feel any remorse because he will trick himself into believing it was the right thing to do.
posted by Nateil O.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I can see the connection between the two but of them wanted to kill someone cecpt that in a tell Teal Heart the killer's conscience was so overwhelmed with paranoia that he gives himself in. But knowing Rask's character he probably woudln't feel any remorse and he would just walk away like nothing happened.

    ReplyDelete