Thursday, August 16, 2007

Language in C&P

When I first started reading Crime and Punishment I had to keep in mind that this is a translated piece of literature. It was originally written in Russian but was then converted to Standard English. Another unique item about the novel is that the story is over a century year old. I kept this these facts close in mind because there were some phrases and wording that seemed out of place. Almost like a detective, I searched for clues in the text after an unusual idiom.
One example is “And today I went to see Sonya and I asked her for the hair of the dog!” It was a peculiar phrase that made sounded like a rural remedy for an illness. Instead of staying stuck on that line, I underlined it and continued reading. A few sentences later Marmeladov said, “This very bottle was bought on her money, sir,” which indicated to me that the hair of the dog was money for liquor. However I was only partly correct; a passerby informed me that the hair of the dog was liquor for a hangover. This quote really stood out to me because I’m not sure that it’s a saying here in America but it seemed like a common catchphrase in Russia. Granted I don’t know how to speak Russian, it’s nice to know I know one small thing that was common then (or now).
Another quote I enjoyed when the part of a conversation between Raskolnikov and Nastasya. When asked what work Raskolnikov does, he answered “I think.” Although Nastasya laughed in his face at the prospect of that being work, I think I was a cleverly given response. Most people value tangible items, like chopping wood into firewood, rather the thoughts about spiritual and deeper meanings in life. When I read that line it reminded me of a more famous quote “I think therefore I am.” Raskolnikov’s answer seemed profound even though he was trying to avoid the topic of his inexistent job. I think that Raskolnikov’s thoughts prove that he is alive, which is good enough to make a difference.
posted by Kayla H.

3 comments:

  1. i enjoyed your post and agree that some things said in the book were unusual. i found myself at times rereading sentences to see if i read them correctly and forcing myself to keep going even if i didn't understand to see if there was an explanation.
    ~nateil

    ReplyDelete
  2. When asked what work Raskolnikov does, he answered “I think.” I never really dawned on that quote while i was reading the novel. But now after seeing your analysis on it, it does seem like a very profound statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good observations.
    In addition to the certain sayings that are translated from Russioan to English, I also find it interesting that at the time the book was written, Russia was going through a sort of semi-feudalistic era. So whenever someone addresses themselves there is always a title that follows in order to identify their class. (ie: Raskolnikov sir. Former Student)

    ReplyDelete