Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Two-Dimensional Nincompoops

If I were to walk into a book store or library I can honestly say that a book entitled:
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain would not intrigue me. Now, after reading thirty-three chapters of the book, I still do not care for this piece of literature. Despite the fact that I was amused by earlier parts of the book (such as when Huck and the other boys pretended to be robbers) I do not find the book interesting currently. Reasons for this would include my dislike for historical fiction but most of all, my discontent with two characters, The King and the Duke.

The main reasons why I do not care for Mark Twain’s story is because of the characters the King and the Duke. The King and the Duke are two con artists who cheat everyone and anyone out of their money or valuables and cause nothing but problems for Huck and Jim. Ever since they joined Huck and Jim, these swindlers have been getting themselves in and out of trouble while scamming townspeople. I do not see the purpose in having the Duke and Dauphin in this novel. I believe they are useless, two-dimensional characters, as the readers we do not know the King’s or the Duke’s background. It might help if their appearance in the book wasn’t so random and that their characters were further developed. By watching and being involved in the corrupt schemes of these deceiving nincompoops, Huck comes to appreciate his “unsivilized” life with Jim on the raft. All elements considered, I do not care for this novel because some of Mark Twain’s characters are two-dimensional nuisances!
posted by Kandace C.

No comments:

Post a Comment