Sunday, March 11, 2007

Behind the Covers

The story of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of the most dreadful books I have read so far. I do not understand it at all. I realize that Mark Twain wrote the way he did because he wanted to connect with his readers. He wanted his characters to speak the way his readers would speak every day at that time. However, I have a hard time understanding it. I have to read it aloud to myself in order to understand what Huck and Jim are saying. A chapter that I could read in only ten to fifteen minutes takes me at least half-an-hour to read. Although Huck brings up the controversial issue of racism, the awareness of being “sivilized”, morality, and true friendship, the story is very repetitive. From the time when Huck and Jim started their travel to the end of the book, Huck and Jim continue to meet new people, make interactions, and then continue their journey. Even though the people that Huck and Jim meet are different in many ways, and they make different impacts on Huck and Jim, they are nonetheless habitual. I am no longer surprised when Huck and Jim meet someone new. All in all, when I started reading Huckleberry Finn I expected an adventure. I expected to be plunged into the book until the last page, but I am really disappointed. Mark Twain is a great author, but unfortunately, this story of his is one of the most unlikable books that I have ever read.
posted by Ranu N.

5 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying the novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin. As I have been reading the story I have really grown to hate Pap. Pap Is Huck’s father and Pap is the embodiment of pure evil. He is a drunkard, illiterate, ignorant, violent, and a profoundly racist human being. Reading the book and learning more of pap’s personality can persuade the reader into hating Pap with a passion. I began to hate Pap as soon as he came back in to Huck’s life because he tried to change Huck. Pap demands that Huck quits school, avoids church, and stops reading. I like the way Huck became an I am not a big fan of Huckleberry going back to his old way of life and listening to his father because he isn’t quite the perfect role model. The second thing that turns me off to liking Pap is the fact that he is looking to take all of Huck’s money. If he really was the man he wouldn’t have to take his sons money, he could just make his own. I know that we shouldn’t hate anybody but Pap isn’t a person he’s just a walking drunken corpse.
    malcolm harper blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that the story might be slow at times and difficult to understand, but I don't think it's repititive. Huck and Jim's characters are some of the most complex and dynamic ones I've read about, and they also break many of the sterotypical barriers that were present when the book was written. The dialect adds to that because it provides the intimacy and richness needed to really enjoy and understand all of the characters, something that standard written English couldn't have delivered. As for predicatability, I think it is a given that during their travels upstream Huck and Jim are bound to meet new personalities along the way, something that was foreshadowed by Jim's superstitions in the beginning of the novel. However, with every new acquaintance and stay, different aspects of Southern life, racism, American society, and 'civilized' people are revealed. I think that all these new people are there as secondary characters to help Huck find his own sense of morality and also give the readers a new outlook on Southern life too. Although they might appear to be hackneyed, these characters have great depth that speaks above the surface. Each new person, for example the Duke and the King, has a different set of morals and Twain does a great job of making the characters seem realistic and humane. I'm actually enjoying the novel and can't wait 'till I find out what happens to both.
    -Prabjot K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't uderstand this book either. I also found this book not that interesting to me. The laguage was not understandable, and I also had to read aloud to myself to know what I was reading. I as well disliked this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HuckFinn is not the most dreadful book that i have read, but it was not the most fun to read. It took me a very long time to read it, and i did too read it aloud. Even if i did read it out loud it took me a few mintues to understand some of the words, that was very frustrating! I also agree that it was repetitive, and as the book went on i would be able to predict what was about to happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HuckFinn is not the most dreadful book that i have read, but it was not the most fun to read. It took me a very long time to read it, and i did too read it aloud. Even if i did read it out loud it took me a few mintues to understand some of the words, that was very frustrating! I also agree that it was repetitive, and as the book went on i would be able to predict what was about to happen next.

    ReplyDelete