Sunday, March 18, 2007

Racist? Anti-Racist?

I don't believe that main idea of Huckleberry Finn is a racist one and it's not an anti-racist idea either. When Mark Twain wrote this novel he was an abolitionist, but I don't think his main idea was to talk about whether slavery was bad or not. I believe his main point of the book was to make it entertaining for the reader, and also I believe he wanted the reader to tell by the end of the book how "racism" played a part in the book. Mark Twain is great writer and for him to improve his book he would use words like "n*****" and use "slave talk" to improve the book. He wanted the reader to experience how it was during the 1800's.Using those words does not make the book racist at all; that language was used back then as it was part of their vocabulary. People tend to forget that this book is set in the 1840's, when slavery still existed. By forgeting, people begin to think Mark Twain was racist and the book is racist and it shouldn't be read. I didn't like this book, but I feel the book should still be read as part of the school curriculum. And for the people who think the main idea of the book is racist, I think you should think it over.
posted by Vadim S.

No comments:

Post a Comment