Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Tom's Return

Finally! Tom is back in the story. I enjoy his character a lot. I like the spunky adventurous imagitive side to him because I feel it makes the book a lot more interesting. His character also adds a little twist to Huck and Jim's adventure because Tom is someone who was introduced to us early on in the novel. Before Tom's reappearance in the book, I had ponderedwhat his reaction would be to Huck's rebellious and adventurous life as it is so far. I also wondered how Tom would react to the fact that Huck has been helping a runaway slave, and not any runaway slave, but Jim! I, along with Huck, also found it a bit bizarre how Tom was totally accepting of the fact that Huck was helping Jim escape. Honestly, what are the chances of two white teenaged boys being okay with helping a runaway slave to freedom in the 1800's, even if they have different motives, that is, Huck wanting to help out a friend and Tom wanting to be part of an adventure? Even so, I'm starting to really enjoy the book nowthat Tom has returned. This book is very unpredictable, and now with Tom back in the picture, who's to say what will happen next . . .
posted by Amanda R.

No comments:

Post a Comment