Thursday, March 22, 2007

Follower or Leader?

When we discussed the last chapter, everyone was angry at Huck for following Tom's plans while they were trying to free Jim. They believe that his long journey served no purpose because he was back to being Tom's follower. I completely disagree. I believe that the only reason Huck was following Tom was to help Jim escape. I do think that Huck's journey helped him know right from wrong and although in chapter "the Ending" he made a 360 degree turn, he was going back home with more experiences, knowledge, a better understanding of the world and maturity than when the book began. I thought the ending was suitable for this book.
posted by Grace O.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the ending was suitable too, but I dont really think Huck made a 360 degree turn. He still thought, what he did was wrong and I dont think he will help another slave escape. He only did it becuase of friedship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that Huck's journey was for a reason. Huck learned so much during the time that he spent with Jim. Prior to his adventure, he never thought of considering a runaway slave as a friend. He had the mentality of most of the people in the south, thinking that Jim was "just a slave",not a real person that could feel and that could be his friend. He ended up right where he was before, but with a knowledge that he would have never had if he never went on this "useless" journey.

    ReplyDelete