Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Pap

I am really enjoying the novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. As I have been reading the story I have really grown to hate Pap. Pap is Huck’s father and Pap is the embodiment of pure evil. He is a drunkard, illiterate, ignorant, violent, and a profoundly racist human being. Reading the book and learning more of Pap’s personality can persuade the reader into hating Pap with a passion. I began to hate Pap as soon as he came back into Huck’s life because he tried to change Huck. Pap demands that Huck quit school, avoid church, and stop reading. I like the way Huck became and I am not a big fan of Huckleberry going back to his old way of life and listening to his father because he isn’t quite the perfect role model. The second thing that turns me off to liking Pap is the fact that he is looking to take all of Huck’s money. If he really was the man he wouldn’t have to take his son's money, he could just make his own. I know that we shouldn’t hate anybody but Pap isn’t a person-- he’s just a walking drunken corpse.
posted by Malcolm H.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with about Pap. I found Pap to be a very cold-hearted man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm I completely agree with you about Pap. He is a low-life unworthy of the title "human being." However, I like that Twain used a character such as Pap for Huck's father, especially when you consider how common it was for fathers in the 19th century to turn to alcohol and beat their children. Nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally right Pap is the worst thing in the book. Pap should not be the one making decisions for Huck, because nothing positive ever comes from him for Huck. I believe that the things Huck has gone through have made him a better independant person, no thanks to Pap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about Pap. I found Pap to be a cold-hearted man, and am pretty sure that other reader's of this book found him a bad person as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you because the only thing Pap really does is "Borrow" (stealing) from other people, Gets drunk 75% of the time, and lives like a wild animal instead of making something of himself in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree Malcolm. I think what really made me dislike Pap in the book was when he made the whole speech about how blacks shouldn't be able to vote, or have jobs, and basically saying that the government should preserve the idea of a White America. HOwever I can't seem to understand how Pap is one to judge others when he himself is a failure in life; drinking immensely, physically and mentally abusing Huck, and being a heartless parental figure by trying to steal Huck's money away. He is illiterate, and is embarassed that Huck is going to school and gradually learning to read, and immediately abuses him to be more like his father. Pap is ultimately a racist character that Mark Twain utilizes to allow readers to understand the racist ideas that people held during that era.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you fully, I also agree that Pap turns me off the way he's trying to takes huck's money.

    ReplyDelete