Tuesday, March 13, 2007

the ending

The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn is a very interesting book, especially from the point of view of someone who has read all the way through it-- read all the way through all the adventures, the lies and the scandals that the famous Huck Finn pulls. After reading the whole book I had a completely new perspective of how things worked in the south during the 1800's. All the time Huck is wrestling with the idea of rescuing Jim. Because he was raised in such a racist society he has so much trouble with the idea of freeing a slave. But that wasn't the thing that perplexed me so much. The thing that got me was the ending; the thing I have such a hard time understanding is that the fact that I hate cliches. And the ending couldn't have been more cliched, in the sense that everything worked out with no problem or tragedy to understand in the end. But the fact that makes this book so great is even though the ending is cliched, the book has a great original feel to it in the sense that, in the end, Huck ends up exactly where he was in the beginning.
posted by Danny K.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think the ending was as cliched as it was rushed. I felt a little overwhelmed by the fact that everything was solved right away in a few pages. But I've read worse endings.
    Mikaela M.

    ReplyDelete